Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Nicki Minaj Talks Acting Career, 'American Idol'


Rapper to star in upcoming comedy 'The Other Woman'

Nicki Minaj is not dating anyone. She's down to ditch her signature wigs for a natural look. Oh — and she's about to hit the big screen: the 30-year-old rapper landed a role in director Nick Cassavetes' (The Notebook, Alpha Dog) new comedy The Other Woman. And she has her reservations:

"I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I can't blow this," Minaj confessed to Marie Claire, in an interview that relied on questions that her fans (or Barbz, as they're lovingly known) submitted via Twitter.

Nicki Minaj's Wildest Looks

In addition to a budding acting career and staying single, Minaj – who built an over-the-top, bubblegum-pop image for herselef before Idol – spoke about her toned-down look on the show, saying she "felt more comfortable with less." She opened up about the perception of her own evolution since being on Idol, explaining "The perception people had of me completely changed because there are no cue cards, there's no script. . . . it was 'Let's see your real personality.'"

"My core is a genuine human being who roots for other people," she continued. I didn't want to blow smoke up their ass. I wanted every contestant to leave with something that they could remember."

To accompany the interview and introduce Minaj as the face of its August 2013 cover, Marie Claire produced a short video. Minaj answers additional questions, like what's she's finds herself buying over and over again. The answer? "I buy a toothbrush every day. Is that the weirdest thing?" Watch the video below.